Oklahoma is Black - Video Installation & Documentary Short
BlackMagic Ursa Mini Pro 4K | Assortment of Vintage Lenses
‘Oklahoma is Black’ is one of 1 of 3 video installations created for Tatyana Fazlalizadeh's solo exhibition 'Oklahoma is Black,' at
Oklahoma Contemporary. This work was site-specific and projected inside of a planetarium. The exhibition ran from February 21st - May 31st, 2019.
The installation is now being shown at film festivals as a documentary short.
Synopsis: ‘Oklahoma is Black’ is a portrait of Black life on the Northeast side of Oklahoma City. It is a meditation on the resilience of a community and the places in which it thrives, of its complexities and its nuances, and of its concern of what has passed and for what's to come.
Runtime: 4 minutes
Director/Cinematographer/Editor: Melinda James
Co-Director/Producer: Tatyana Fazlalizadeh
Original Score: Emily McLean
Post-Production Sound: Jared Fellows
Creative Consultant: Susie Smith
With Support from Oklahoma Contemporary
- BlackStar: Best of the Fest 2019 at Colgate University. Hamilton, NY. [Selected. November 2019]
- Cucalorus Film Festival. Wilmington, NC. [Selected. November 2019]
- Indie Memphis Film Festival. Memphis, TN.
- New Orleans Film Festival. New Orleans, LA.
BronzeLens Film Festival. Atlanta, GA.
- DC Black Film Festival. Washington, DC.
- BlackStar Film Festival. The Lightbox Film Center, Philadelphia, PA. [Premiere]